Frequently asked questions

What is Film Navajo?

Film Navajo is the Navajo Nation's local Film Office, NNTVF is the entity responsible for stewarding the policies herein for television, media production, and film/still photography on the Navajo Nation. 

What type of services does Navajo Nation Film office provide?

NNTVF has the exclusive authority over the imposition of permitting procedures and fees associated with filming/still photography on the the Navajo Nation, which include the application process and review, permit approval, associated fees, services, etc. 

Does NNTVF have a talent agency program?

NNTVF currently does not have such a program however, of production is interest in hiring local talent and/or crew, we can arrange to accommodate the request. 

Do I need a film permit on the Navajo Nation?

Yes, all productions- professional, amateur, independent, student or education as well as still photography- conducted on the Navajo Nation are subject to guidelines and regulations to obtain a Film/Photo permit. 

What are the types of permits issued?

Our office issues permits for filming and still photography. The Production may be required to obtain permits though other entities depending on the location(s) and/or activities of filming/still photography.  Notice of separate and additional permits and fees will be communicated to the Production company as needed prior to the issuance of the permit through NNTVF. 

What are the fees for permits? 

Permits fees vary based on the project and other factors. 

Note: Additional fees separate from NNTVF may apply. 

How do I obtain a film permit to film on the Navajo Nation? 

To acquire a film/still photography permit, requests can be made to NNTVF at to initiate the permit process. Based on that discussion, a film/still photography application packet will be provided. Be prepared to provide at the time the following information. 

  •  Film Permit Application

    • Production information

    • Filming information

    • Project schedule

    • Special requests

    • Synopsis of the film specifying the content that will be filmed on the Navajo Nation

    • Selection of production services available through NNTVF

    • Grid coordinates if location for filming

  • ​Navajo Nation Liability Release Form​

  • Certificate of insurance 

  • Location Agreement 

  • Talent Release form (if applicable) (This can be provided at a later date during the filming as talent is confirmed.) 

  • Location Release Agreement

Does NNTVF provide Media Services? 

Media Services under NNTVF provides all levels of video production, post-production editing, live streaming, drone operations, etc.

Does NNTVF rent out media equipment?

NNTVF does not rent out or loan out equipment. NNTVF equipment is provided but is to be used and operated by NNTVF staff professionals only. 

Does NNTVF charge for Media services?
NNTVF media services fees vary based on the type of services being provided and other factors.
Does NNTVF provide onsite live streaming?

Yes, NNTVF offers on site live streaming, however an Ethernet connection is required. 

What types of videos does NNTVF produce? 

NNTVF produces a variety of films including but not limited to short films. feature films, short and full length documentaries, commercials, promo videos and more. 

Does NNTVF have a certified Drone Pilot?

NNTVF has two fully certified licensed drone operators. 

Is NNTV5 licensed with the FCC?

Yes, our TV station is FCC registered, which was granted in 1989. 

Is NNTV analog or digital?

We provide digital formatted television to remain current with technological trends. 

Does NNTV have a program schedule?

NNTVF is in the process of providing a public access program schedule through our website, 

What subject Materials does NNTV broadcast?
  • Nataani TC- streaming of council and presidential quarterly reports. 

  • Navajo Focus- community news

  • Stoodis- Arts , Music, Sports, and Fashion 

  • Health and Fitness 

  • Culture

How can I view NNTV programs?

To view our programs you will need a Television (portable or stationary) with an antenna and will need to be within the vicinity of one of our transmission towers. Next you would utilize your television "scan" feature to scan over the air signals . This should allow to receive our broadcast signal and the 4 channels which we broadcast.